#
Westminster Presbyterian Church
⌘TheCity
Login
Service Times
Church History
Our Beginning
Dr. Fred Poag, Minister First Presbyterian Church, Spartanburg, SC

- 1956   Our property was purchased by Enoree Presbytery and First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg.  A survey indicated 27 families interested in starting new church

- 1959   The Reverend Leonard Topping of First Presbyterian Church leads these families in worship service at Spartanburg High School (125 members).  In October, a petition was presented to Presbytery to formally charter the Church on December 30, 1959

- 1960   The Reverend Joe Brooks becomes first full-time pastor.  In January, Building Committee appointed to raise $53,000 for Fellowship Hall and 15 classrooms.   The church was incorporated on June 6 as Westminster Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg, South Carolina, Inc.

- 1962   Our first service held in Fellowship Hall on June 10th.

Watch Us Grow
1987

- 1965   A Building Committee was appointed for more Sunday School classrooms and a sanctuary

- 1970   Our sanctuary and Sunday School classrooms completed

- 1983   Our offices moved to the house which was the orginal manse at 104 Pineville Road.  Also  T.O.T.A.L. Ministries was begun by church members

- 1985   The Emory Road house(105 Emory Road) was purchased. It was used as a manse for the associate pastor, then the youth director and now is youth meeting rooms and youth staff offices. 

- 1987   Our gym and kitchen were added to the existing church structure.

- 1988   Our partnership with Young Life began.

And we continue in our growth and service to our community...
Westminster Presbyterian Church today

- 1991   A campaign was initiated to provide additional parking, a new playground and other projects.  Also our organ was dedicated

- 1994   Our fellowship hall was remodeled to accomodate more adult classrooms

- 1995   A sound treatment was installed in our gym and the  parlor remodeled

- 1996-1999  Financial Freedom Campaign began as a means to become debt free church

- 1999   Celebrated a debt-free church. The church also started a Capital Fund with Sptbg County Foundation to stay debt-free

- 2000   Charles Horne Retired after 20 years of service.

- 2002   Paul M. Petersen was installed as our fourth senior minister.

- 2006   Start of our Contemporary Worship service in August. 

- 2011   Our current mission and vision statements were approved. 

- 2012   New Bylaws were adopted.

- 2013    Westminster moved from the PCUSA to ECO.

- 2014-2016  Worked with TAG Consulting to help reframe, refocus and reimagine to help us prosper at WPC. 

- 2015 Lead children to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and provide for their spiritual growth by establishing the highest comprehensive gospel centered programs. Engaged young adults to help them spiritually grow. Invigorating everyone’s faith by encouraging connections to smaller communities. 

- 2016 Strengthening marriages and families. Study the feasibility and implement a plan to plant an ECO church. Partnered with Good City Architects to produce a master plan for future growth. 

    Westminster Presbyterian Church
    309 Fernwood Drive
    Spartanburg, SC 29307
    PH: (864) 585-4186
    FX: (864) 582-0993

    Emergency #
    Dr. Paul Petersen
    (864) 316-4892

    Please report problems or broken links to webmaster@wpcspartanburg.org