The Proverbs teach us that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” If this is so, then the fear of anything or anyone else (more than the Lord) is the beginning of foolishness. Jesus reveals what has always been true about His Father – that the most fearful One is also the most gracious One. John tells us that this “Perfect Love casts out fear.” God’s love and wisdom are intimately connected!
If you are like me, I find myself questioning and complaining about the why’s and the what’s of our present crisis. I am being reminded that the better question is “Lord, what do You want Your children to learn in the midst of this? What do we learn about His love and what wisdom may we gain from it?” For a profound take on these issues, read “C.S. Lewis and the Coronavirus”.
Here are some things you may need to know:
- Our staff and session have been working and praying diligently to respond faithfully and wisely to the present situation and circumstances. In an effort to honor God in our worship and respect our governmental leaders (Romans 13:1), we will be worshipping via livestream at 9:30am on Sunday March 22nd and March 29th. We are canceling our gathered worship services for those days to support our country’s attempt to slow the spread of the corona virus.
- Livestream and worship resources can be found here. (https://wpcspartanburg.org/live)
- Our Church office will remain open Monday through Thursday from 9-5 and on Friday from 9-12. Our ministers remain available.
- Our His Hands ministry team is actively seeking information regarding people who may need help during this time – running errands, picking up medications, groceries, or just checking up on them. We are encouraging our covenant partners to look after each other. If you or someone you know may be in need of help, please contact Beth Wolfe at 864-216-2761 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the church office.
- Unfortunately, one of the effects of canceling our services is financial. If you are able and would consider mailing or dropping your weekly offerings by the church office, it would be greatly appreciated and very helpful in maintaining our ministries and paying our bills. You may also give on-line here. (https://wpcspartanburg.org/wpcs/give_online)
I will miss seeing your faces and greeting you this Sunday in worship. I hope you and your family will join us in worship all across Spartanburg county as we livestream.