Sunday, March 22 2020
In light of this virus spreading throughout our world, I am reminded of C.S. Lewis’ remarks in Mere Christianity when he writes of Jesus, “He came to this world and became a man in order to spread to other men the kind of life He has – by what I call the ‘good infection’” (Mere ChristianityBook IV, Chapter Four). Lewis originally broadcast the lectures which became the book during the dark days of World War II. Now, we read them in these dark days of a different kind – but they are no less true. May His “good infection” of righteousness, peace, and joy flood our souls and infect those around us. Let’s pray for that “good infection” for all of us and for our world.
A couple of things that may be helpful to know –
* Live-Stream - Thanks to our praise team and staff who helped make worship happen today! Many encouraging comments flowing our way – you can still watch it at https://wpcspartanburg.org/live. We will do it again next week.
* Some help for you and the family. The Gospel Coalition is a website I visit often for news, information and insights. Two articles about the value of music in these difficult days may be helpful. Both have playlists – one more geared to children (here) and one for adults (here). I encourage you to look around on this website for thoughtful and helpful articles.
* Our church office will be “open” between 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm this week. A staff person will be there to answer phones and provide necessary assistance. If you are dropping off your offering, you can put in the mailbox by the front door. If assistance is necessary, please come during those times and it mindful of good ‘social distance.’ We are trying to eliminate the amount of personal contact in light of current guidelines.
* Ways to help -
- Our His Hands ministry team is actively seeking information regarding people who may need help during this time – running errands, picking up medications, groceries, or just checking up on them. They also need volunteers. If you or someone you know may be in need of help, please contact Beth Wolfe at 864-216-2761 or email email@example.com.
- TOTAL Ministries – they are in need of human and material resources – food, finances, and people. They have been and will be in this for the long haul and know how to help. They are open Monday-Thursday from 9am-12pm for good drop off. Their number is 864-595-9167 – be mindful they are busy.
- Mobile Meals – they need drivers and particularly young ones (who have licenses and are insured). Please call ahead so they can be prepared – 864-573-7684.
- Laurie Allen is looking for 7 inch long 1/8” or 1/4” wide elastic straps to sew medical masks. A box will be placed outside the church office for collection.
- I encourage you, if you are able, to look for ways people are helping and get involved! If you are not able, know that your fight against the spread of this virus by staying home and staying healthy is just as important!